Joseph Campbell

Monday, December 28, 2009

165lb Snatch!!!! It's a Process...leading to the accomplishment of a Balanced Life...



I must say, that it is very nice to have the next week off due to work holidays! Although I do not feel any less busy than I am, when I am required to go to work.

The Gym was very unforgiving today. If anyone has ever attempted a snatch lift, then they can tell you exactly how hard it is to do. I was humbled today, when I could only snatch 165lbs off of the ground this morning. Considering that I can push press 225 from a standing position!!!

Guess the crossfit Gods wanted me to realize that there is no substitution for hard work. Drew was there today, and he is a freakishly strong manimal, not only can he lift more weight than I can, but he weighs 90lbs less!!! Today's time lifting with him put a whole new meaning to the phrase comparing apples to oranges. I realized that my technique was horrible, that I am not as flexible as I thought I have become, and that I really need to work on my Olympic lifts more.

After almost dropping the weight on my head three times, he pulled me aside for some constructive criticism. It amazed me how much detail he was able to notice in my technique. That there was a lot that I had to learn about my body, and how it moves to maximize it's output.

It was then that an old chapter from the 21 Irrefutable laws of leadership from John Maxwell shot into my mind. I could literally feel the memory, as it made it's way into my cognitive theater. Drew reminded me that things in life are a process. That the law of the process applies to everything. WE tend to focus so much on the end result of things, that we ignore the process that we are going through. This becomes a breeding ground for disappointment, complacency, self doubt, and depression. To only be focused on the end result, and not even take the time to look back at how far you have come? This is a formula for self-deprecating mental suicide. No wonder my confidence has been in question lately. I have spent so much time concerning myself with the results that I want in my life, that I have not given myself credit for all of the things that I have accomplished in the last year.

Taking it one step further, Tony Robbins suggests that the questions that we ask ourselves define the reference points, and how we feel about the progress in our lives. I have been asking myself the question of: "Why don't I have what I want? Why don't I feel like I have accomplished anything? Why does it feel like I am falling short in everything that I do? This is all that I have been asking myself, and as a result, I have Chosen to focus on that. Whatever you focus on, is what you are going to get, feel, and experience in your life.

When Drew reminded me today of "leadership develops in a day, not daily." My focus instantly changed. I could feel my posture straighten, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up from the jolt of electricity down my spine. It was as if all of the things that I have failed at were no longer in the spot light, and my accomplishments had taken center stage.

Quick Recap on the 2009....

1. Graduated from college in May with a major in Finance, and minor in Econ. Despite being told that I could not graduate from UNR by then because of past performances. -Education
2. Became an ordained minister to perform the wedding of my best friend. - Faith
3. Have gained 10 lbs of muscle mass, and radically changed my body composition - physical
4. Resigned from a greatly admired company here in town, and obtained a position at a smaller, but faster paced corporation with more promise of opportunity. - Professional
5. Traveled to Europe on my own dime, hit up Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain, and Canada in two weeks, and was so amazed at myself for not missing a beat; while increasing my comprehension of Spanish, and Italian. - Travel
6. Helped at least 3 friends redefine their personal relationships with people, and increased the happiness in their lives, simply by showing them that they were capable, and amazing people. - Charity/ Selflessness
7. Made progress on giving things up from the past that used to bother me. I have never held onto negative experiences, and held them over my head before, until a couple of years ago. I have finally started to lay some of those burdens down. - Emotional
8. Became a regular Blood donor for someone else in need that I will probably never meet. - Philanthropic


There are more, but for the sake of this blog, I need to wrap it up.

So the ability to change ones state, lies in what you focus on. Your body is smarter than your head will ever be, that is another post entirely, but Logic can never cure an emotion. Only action can. Choosing what to focus on, is what is going to govern your states, and your progress. I went from feeling depressed and like a failure, to feeling happy and accomplished in a matter of seconds. Reflecting on my past years progress showed me that I have Led a balanced, Healthy life with accomplishments in : Education - Faith- Physical - philanthropic-Emotional- Travel- Charity and Professional aspects of my life. Guess I didn't do that bad. In the end, it is good to see that the standards that you hold yourself to, lead to a healthy, balanced life, and that you really have to pay attention to the process, not just the end result.

Hope that this might have helped you out as well. Until next time!

Love,

JC

1 comment: